Thursday, November 1, 2007

How D Plans Ahead For Potlucks

Tuesday night, 10:46 pm (I just checked my cell phone log), D calls.

D, in a slight panic: What do I need to make broccoli salad?

KM: Broccoli florets, apples; I don't know, a whole bunch of stuff. Why?

D: I need to bring a dish to work tomorrow and I signed up for salad.

KM, tired and a little annoyed: Why don't you just bring an easy salad then?

D: I promised everyone I would bring your salad because they really liked it last time.

KM, flattered and no longer annoyed (Good job, D!), rattled off the ingredients stating the ones that were in the refrigerator at home.

D comes home to find the recipe on the kitchen counter with the large Tupperware bowl rinsed and ready for use. Instead of following the directions on how to make the salad, he yells for KM to help. KM is not pleased but chops two apples anyway, and pulls the rest of the ingredients from the cupboards. She returns to bed. It is now almost midnight. D doubles the recipe for the salad and goes to bed.

KM awakes in the morning to find a mess in the kitchen. She is not a clean freak, but a messy kitchen she does not like.

D brings the salad to work.

D calls KM after lunch asking for the recipe to give to his coworkers. KM smiles that she has a recipe that people like.

KM’s Broccoli Salad

Dressing

  • 1 cup Miracle Whip (or mayo if that’s your preference)
  • ½ cup & 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salad Base

  • ~5 cups broccoli florets (I used one 16oz bag of precut broccoli florets and chop them into more bite size pieces)
  • 1 small/medium apple, chopped
  • ½ cup Craisins
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts
  • ¼ cup slivered almonds

Preparation

  • Mix all dressing ingredients together
  • Mix dressing with salad base
  • Chill
  • Serve

2 comments:

-R- said...

You are so much nicer than me! I would not have been that helpful when it was already so late!

I am glad everyone liked the salad and that D made it (pretty much) himself. =)

KM said...

I even got a 'thank you' for cutting the apples. I might have flipped him off when he asked me to chop the second one, though. Are there any faux obscene hand gestures?