Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Confessions of a TV Junkie

Being home sick yesterday gave me the opportunity to do something that I haven't done in quite some time: watch random TV shows for no other reason than the fact that they are on and I'm sitting on my arse. Since investing in DVR (yes, it is an investment--I might not make money on it, but it gives me more time while still allowing me to be a TV Junkie) I have not tuned in to hours of L&O reruns or flipped through the channels before landing on some random movie that I wasn't really in to, but had seen a million times and therefore had a connection to--Bring It On comes to mind.

Yesterday I watched said L&O reruns and also found time to watch the lovely Julia Stiles and yummy Matt Damon in Bourne Identity. I really do love her. I think it's because of 10 Things I Hate About You. She was also the inspiration for my hair cut. (Which I'm getting trimmed tomorrow, so Books we'll have to get together!) My DVR is currently 33% full, but everything on there needs to be watched later, with D.

D and I watch Heroes together every Monday night. Not when it airs, we have to watch it later so we can fast forward through all the commercials. Also, we usually work out on Monday nights. That did not really happen last night, though we didn't watch Heroes until 11:30pm. I should mention that my bedtime is 10 o'clock. We both napped in the evening, so after watching Heroes we watched My Name is Earl and the first part of CSI: Miami. I am not quite awake today. I am also still feeling sick. It would have been lovely to relive my at home day yesterday today--but to wake up tomorrow feeling better. Or just to feel better now, but still be at home.

Heroes is really the only show D watches with any regularity. I actually didn't want to watch it at all, but I love the idea of D and I watching TV together and sharing that. I really have no idea why I think it's that great of an idea to be TV Junkies together, but I blame my parents for this. Anyway, I had no desire to watch Heroes, but set it to record on my DVR so we could watch it together. Now I'm hooked.
While Heroes is a great show and all, that is not the point of this post. What I'm really trying to say is that I watch a lot of TV. I mean A LOT. I also blame that on my parents, actually my dad. It's All. His. Fault. I currently have 27 season passes set on my DVR. Not all of the shows are on right now, but still--that's a lot. I know it. I own it. Without much further ado, here are the shows I record. I'll admit I'm addicted to most of them. I'm not giving them links because seriously, what's the point? And I'm not putting them in order of favorites--do you know how hard it is for me to answer that question? I can't even narrow it down to five! So, in alpha order, this is what I'm watching when I could be cooking, cleaning or working out:
Back to You
Biggest Loser (TBL)
Bones
Brothers & Sisters
Chuck
Criminal Minds
CSI
CSI: Miami
ER
Heroes
House
Law & Order
Law & Order Criminal Intent
Law & Order SVU
Monk
My Name is Earl
Nip/Tuck
Numbers
Project Runway (PR)
Psych
Pushing Daisies
Scrubs
Shark
Side Order of Life
The Closer
The Office
Top Chef
There are a few, like Back to You, that I could take or leave. I probably wouldn't watch My Name is Earl anymore if D didn't like it. I haven't gotten to Chuck or Pushing Daisies yet, as D and I are saving those for when Heroes takes a break. Project Runway starts TOMORROW and I couldn't be more excited. Some of my shows were cancelled. Some I had to stop watching because of scheduling conflicts (my DVR can only record two shows at once--that is not enough, people) and some I set up but then deleted (ie: Dirty Sexy Money) because I just really don't have the time. I also recorded random 'flip' shows, but I recently deleted them because we just weren't watching them like we did.
As you can tell from my list, detective shows are kind of my thing. Medical dramas are also up there. I used to not watch reality TV, but that was before TBL, PR and Top Chef. I justify it by saying that these are all life altering shows--and not just in a money kind of way. But whatever, it's reality TV. I'm hooked. Anything on this list you watch? What am I missing out on?

4 comments:

L Sass said...

I am loving Gossip Girl and Dirty Sexy Money--I love that they're both tongue-in-cheek, Manhattan-set soaps!

-R- said...

I would suggest 30 Rock. I really, really love it. Maybe even more than The Office, which you know means a lot, coming from me.

I love House, Psych, The Office, and Project Runway too. I haven't watched Monk for a while but used to really like it.

KM said...

R--You think 30 Rock is better than The Office? Wow, maybe I should check that out!

I sass--now I'm feeling a bit sad that I deleted Dirty Sexy Money. The good news is that there is always DVD.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you don't have Showtime? Because Dexter and Californication are the two best shows running, hands down. And 30 Rock! Woo! Definitely! Also, Rob and I have been into Big Shots, which has a stupid-assed name but is entertaining nonetheless. I mean, Hi, Michael Vartan.